Friday, February 6, 2009

Why

I purchased my Acer Aspire One on Feb. 2 2009. I have been looking for a netbook for sometime now and decided that now was the time. I picked mine up from a local Walmart for 298$. The following are the specifications as per the package:

AOA 150-1777
Model No. ZG5
Intel Atom processor N270
8.9" CrystalBrite WSVGA
1 GB DDR2
120 GB HD
Multi-in-1 card reader
10/100 base T
802.11 b/g
Manufactured Year 2008
Made in China
System BD/BIOS 35/3305
Windows XP Home

The color was Sapphire Blue. Contrary to the label on the box, this unit has a 160 GB HD. I did some reading in the Acer user forums prior to the purchase, and a lot of posts indicated that some units are being sold as 120 GB units but are actually 160's. It also appeared by the forums that the blue might be the most commonly upgraded unit, so thats what I went with. It looks like that little gamble paid off with a slightly larger hard drive. Not that the drive was the main consideration, as I probably won't use this netbook for large amounts of data.

This unit also comes with a .3 mega pixel webcam built in. Most netbooks that include cameras come with a 1.3 mega pixel, but once again this wasn't the most sought after feature for my needs.

My intentions, that this will be a simple, minimal, portable workstation. I have many computers and laptops, but this will be my first netbook.

1 comment:

  1. I just got one a couple of days ago, Staples, same price.

    Fun little thing, innit?

    I'm not confident enough to do the hacks I see posted. Seems to run all right. I'm doing mostly just email and web. I have a nwe Dell Inspiron 1420 lappie, too, a few weeks older...first lappie...but it really is just too heavy to want to carry around unless I need to run the lappie-apps.

    On Dell's website, they make sleeves for their Mini 9 and I ordered one for my AA1. Got it today--fits snugly but it fits.

    ReplyDelete