Saturday, February 7, 2009

First Boot

Upon arriving back home, un-boxed the Acer and took a quick look through the guide. I installed the battery, and powered up for the first time. The initial boot took probably about 2 minutes and the hard drive was very active. I went through the standard fill in the blank stuff for Microsoft Windows XP home. I observed that the battery was now at about 83%.

At the first opportunity I rebooted again. This second boot was much quicker, coming in at about 45-50 seconds.

I looked around to see what OEM software was installed, and picked the ones I was going to delete. First up was Microsoft office trial version. My intentions for this machine is to use as much good freeware and open source software on this as possible.

Next on the chopping block was McAffe anti-virus/anti-spyware. I do not want the re-occurring charge for this software, when there are good freeware alternatives.

I download AVG from Grisoft, Firefox Browser, Open Office to a thumbdrive for installation to the Acer Aspire One. All three installations to the little device go smoothly with no problems whatsoever.

Satisfied with this first configuration, I now connect it to my home wifi network. I put in the wireless key and connected with no problem, and could see 3 networks available which is normal at home.

On this maiden voyage I now downloaded the AVG virus definitions updates deferring the full virus scan at this time. I tested Firefox and configured to my liking and it was good to go. A quick run through on open office also confirmed it was OK.

Now on to the windows online updates. Since the OS is already at SP3 only a few security updates are needed right now.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering...the netbook reviews I read said don't run Vista or Office 2007 on the AA1. I was surprised to see the trial Office 2007 on the AA1. Can it really run it?

    I can get Office 2007 at work for $6. If I install the trial version, can I put my own key in later when it starts asking for money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think running Vista, will be a little much for the AA1. Its been my experience with Vista the more RAM the better (preferably around 2-4 G).
    As for the Office 2007 trail on the AA1 I would hazard a guess that you could supply the key you purchase at work. If not, could you not just uninstall the trail, then re-install the version you purchase at work? Six dollars does sound like and exceptionally good deal. Of course the Opensource alternative is to install OpenOffice like I have done on my AA1/

    ReplyDelete