Saturday, February 7, 2009

First couple of days evaluation

I took this netbook to work Monday. My intention to see how I can incorporate it into my job. My day job is of a computer technician supporting a corporate base of individual clients. I observe that in the included sleeve that came with the Acer Aspire One, it will actually slip into my tool bag that I always carry to and from the office. This would work in a pinch, but there are to many things rattling around in there so I need to find another way to carry in my work environment. I remember I have a canvas case that came with and very early Everex 286 laptop. It was very small also compared to todays standards, so I think it will work just fine.

I really need bluetooth so I can connect my 3G phone to netbook. I look around and the best local deal I and find is at a Target. I purchased a Targus ACB10US for 23.99. Installation of the bluetooth device required that I copy the installation CD to thumbdrive and install via that method. The installation went smoothly, with no problems. I sucessfully marry the laptop to the phone (HPC-6700) and can know use the phone for a wireless modem. Now I should be able to connect virtually anywhere. Initial modem speed shows 115 kB.

One of my associates at work, admires the little Acer, and comes in with one of his own the following day. He did not get the upgraded hard drive as did I, and he purchased from the same location. He also got the white model.

... and I was right about the Everex canvas case. It's just oversized enough to include the AC power supply, some papers, some cables, some SD cards and thumbdrives.

I am succesful in using the Acer Aspire One with my corporate VPN account. This will allow me to access the company network and work just as if I was connected to the company network, albeit somewhat slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment